Looking for more information about self-publishing and the steps in formatting (even if you aren’t formatting your own manuscript)? Click here for helpful articles from Kindlepreneur.
Epub is the industry standard format preferred by most retailers, except for Amazon, which prefers mobi files. We can prepare both types of files for you, with or without customization. Without customization we will give you a mobi file for Amazon and an epub file you can use at Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Google and Apple. With customization we will give you the same files with live links to your other books on each platform, which makes it easier for readers to buy your other books direct from their devices.
Epub and Mobi Formatting Options:
The Fairies offer formatting through Vellum, a cutting-edge formatting software that allows for advanced formatting techniques like drop caps, chapter headers and scene breaks.
- Vellum Formatting—$75 up to 30 chapters and 350 pages of double spaced, 12-point Times New roman font in the Word document submitted for formatting. We offer 7 options for Vellum formatting. Click here to see each of them!
- Are you a previous client who used our standard formatting? Please contact us for more details.
Additional charges include:
- $1 for each additional chapter
- Image insertion: no charge for 1-3 images; $25 for 4-10 images; contact us if you have more than 10 images
- Customize for these retailers for $20 each: Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and Google
- Formatting redo/edits for ebook files already formatted by the Fairies starts at $25
- Boxed sets will be charged based on the number of books included: $75 for book 1 and add $25 for each additional book up to four books. Contact the Fairies for larger boxed sets.
After you submit your work order to the Formatting Fairies, you’ll be asked to submit:
- Your cover file—a high resolution .jpg file is preferred and the file should be at least 1400 pixels wide.
- A Word document with your book title, copyright, manuscript, about the author (optional), other books by (optional).
- If you chose to customize for each retailer, please submit a separate Word file with purchase links for your books broken down by retailer.
Formatted Interior File for Amazon and Ingram (Print-on-Demand)
Preparing print-ready files for on-demand printing requires some know-how that we can provide. Your book will be laid out in the industry-leading Vellum software and outputted in PDF format and ready for upload to Amazon.
Print-on-demand interior file layout is $150 for first 75,000 words/$20 for each additional 10,000 words. We will format for 5″ x 8″, 5.5″ x 8.5″ or 6″ x 9″. Check with us if you are interested in a custom size.
Our staff can provide outstanding proofreading and copyediting support done by a number of experienced, seasoned editors who can ensure your final product is clean and ready for prime time.
- Proofreading services to include spelling, grammar and punctuation $.007/word
- Copyediting Services to include proofreading and inconsistencies. Note this is not a full content review. $.009/word
E-book and print cover design: We can match you up with experienced graphic designers to get you the cover you want! Contact us for more information.
Upload to Apple: $50
Handholding: $50 or $150
The $50 fee includes a 30-minute consult by phone to review your self-publication plan and answer questions. The $150 fee includes the 30-minute consult by phone, access to the Uploading to Retailers online courses and an additional 30-minute consult, plus full email support during your publication process.
After your work order is received, you will get an email from us with a quote and estimated turn around time. At that time we will request any additional information and file we may need from you. Once the project is complete, we will invoice you electronically and you can pay by credit card. A 5 percent administrative fee will be added to the total of all invoices.
Click on the work order tab at the top of this page to hire the Formatting Fairies to prepare your book for publication.
The E-Book Formatting Fairies are open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time. We are closed on weekends and all federal holidays.
Our turnaround time varies, but is often between 5 and 7 business days for ebook formatting from the time we have all the relevant materials to complete your job. Print layout turn around time is between 10 and 15 business days. Editing turnaround time ranges from 2-4 weeks to 6-8 weeks depending on the schedule.
Knowing that the Formatting Fairies are there for me gives me confidence and peace of mind about independently publishing and having ebooks and print-on-demand books that are professionally copy edited and formatted,” she says. “I write the best romance novel I can create, and then Julie and her crew put that into the high-quality package a reader deserves when spending hard-earned money for an ebook or a paperback.
– Veronica Scott